Time flies when you are writing a weekly status update almost every week, edition 30 is here! 30 weeks of blogging, although not entirely consecutive. This week featuring: pomodoros, Todoist, implants, a new laptop and reviews:
- I’ve been noticing a drop in focus and productivity lately. I know where it comes from, I am not motivated to rework the rejected PacificVis work and instead of finishing it as quickly as possible, my brain is trying to trick me into postponing it all the time. I think there is only one cure for this type of behavior, so I started Pomodoroing again. I fell off the Pomodoro wagon for a good long time, thinking I don’t need it anymore, but apparently I still do. There is now a post-it on my screen at work to remind me to ‘Always be Pomodoroing’. I am still using Pomotodo, to keep track of statistics and progress.
- Todoist, my task manager, was kind enough to send me a yearly summary of my productivity and to my great surprise:
Top 2%? Really? I did not see that coming. Do keep in mind that I also use Todoist for my housekeeping/cleaning recurring tasks, so that adds up quickly. Still, not bad! Thank you, Todoist!
- I went back to the dentist this week for preparations to place a crown on my dental implant. I was expecting a nice dental impression session (yes!) that typically features having a metal tray/spoon type thing shoved in the back of my throat, while choking on a mouth full of nauseating substances. But I got nothing of the sort! The future is now people, they used a tiny hand-held scanner to make a digital scan and do an instant 3D surface model reconstruction. What a pleasant surprise 🙂 The models looked really pretty and accurate too. I should have taken a picture, but well, I was kind of busy being in that chair and all. I wonder if they will 3D print it as well, or work completely digital on designing the crown. In any case, 10/10, would recommend!
- So last week I was whining about my broken laptop, but soon this whining will end. I did not mention this, I think, but it was my work laptop. And this week I found out I will get a new one! The old one will be fixed up and can be used by the group to borrow for presentations and whatnot, but I will get a shiny new one. I picked this pretty little thing, the Dell XPS 12 Ultrabook™ Convertible. It transforms into a tablet, so I can read papers while commuting and impress people with it’s Transformer-talents. I should try complaining a little less, I am lucky to have such cool work benefits.
- This weekend, I am working on reviewing a paper for a major conference. Of course I should have done this during the work-week, but somehow I did not manage and as a result of that, no weekend for me! Thanks, past-me, for this excellent gift…. I wish I could punch that bitch in the face.
On that note, I should get back to reviewing. Thanks for reading and have a great week!