I am currently employed as an Associate Professor (tenure track) in the Visualization group at the University of Bergen funded by the Bergen Research Foundation. My PhD thesis was on ‘The Virtual Surgical Pelvis‘, more information on my thesis is available here. This project was funded by the STW and featured a collaboration between the TU Delft and the Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC).
- A survey on multimodal medical data visualization. K. Lawonn*, N. N. Smit*, K. Bühler, and B. Preim. Computer Graphics Forum, 2017, (doi:10.1111/cgf.13306)
- PelVis: Atlas-based Surgical Planning for Oncological Pelvic Surgery. N.N. Smit, K. Lawonn, A.C. Kraima, M.C. deRuiter, H. Sokooti, S. Bruckner, E. Eisemann, A. Vilanova. IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics (Proceedings of Scientific Visualization 2016), (click for details).
- Sline: Seamless Line Illustration for Interactive Biomedical Visualization. N. Lichtenberg, N.N. Smit, C. Hansen, K. Lawonn, VCBM 2016, Bergen, Norway, September 2016, (click for details).
- An Introduction to Evaluation in Medical Visualization. N.N. Smit, K. Lawonn, EuroRV3: EuroVis Workshop on Reproducibility, Verification, and Validation in Visualization (2016), (click for details)
- VarVis: Visualizing Anatomical Variation in Branching Structures. N.N. Smit, A.C. Kraima, D. Jansma, M.C. deRuiter, E. Eisemann, A. Vilanova. EuroVis 2016 Short Papers, (click for details)
- The Online Anatomical Human: Web-based Anatomy Education. N.N. Smit, C.W. Hofstede, A.C. Kraima, D. Jansma, M.C. deRuiter, E. Eisemann, A. Vilanova. EuroGraphics 2016 Education Papers, (click for details)
- Careful dissection of the distal ureter is highly important in nerve-sparing radical pelvic surgery: a 3D reconstruction and immunohistochemical characterization of the vesical plexus. A.C. Kraima, M. Derks, N.N. Smit, J.C. van Munsteren, C.J.H. van de Velde, G.G. Kenter and M.C. DeRuiter. International Journal of Gynecological Cancer 2016, (click for details)
- Illustrative Multi-volume Rendering for PET/CT Scans. K. Lawonn, N.N. Smit, B. Preim, A. Vilanova. VCBM 2015, Chester, UK, September 2015, (click for details)
- Understanding Lymphatic Drainage Pathways of the Ovaries to Predict Sites for Sentinel Nodes in Ovarian Cancer. M. Kleppe, A.C. Kraima, T. van Gorp, N. N. Smit, J.C. van Munsteren, M.C. Deruiter, International Journal of Gynecological Cancer, Volume 25, Number 8, page 1405–1414 – oct 2015, (click for details)
- RegistrationShop: An Interactive 3D Medical Volume Registration System. N.N. Smit, B. Klein Haneveld, M. Staring, E. Eisemann, C.P. Botha, A. Vilanova, VCBM 2014, Vienna, Austria, September 2014, (click for details)
- Lymphatic drainage pathways from the cervix uteri; implications for radical hysterectomy? A.C. Kraima, M. Derks, N.N. Smit, J.C. Van Munsteren, J. Van der Velde, G.G. Kenter, M.C. DeRuiter, Gynecologic Oncology, November 2013, (click for details)
- Toward a highly-detailed 3D pelvic model: Approaching an ultra-specific level for surgical simulation and anatomical education A.C. Kraima, N.N. Smit, D. Jansma, C. Wallner, R.L.A.W. Bleys, C.J.H. v.d. Velde, C.P. Botha, M.C. Deruiter, Clinical Anatomy, December 2012, (click for details)
- A Unified Representation for the Model-based Visualization of Heterogeneous Anatomy Data. N.N. Smit, A.C. Kraima, M.C. Deruiter, D. Jansma and C.P. Botha. Eurovis 2012, Vienna, Austria, June 2012 (click for details)
- The Unified Anatomical Human (Beta): Model-based Representation of Heterogeneous Anatomical Data. N.N. Smit, A.C. Kraima, M.C. Deruiter, D. Jansma and C.P. Botha. CASA 2012 – Workshop on 3D Physiological Human, Singapore, May 2012 (click for details)